Inspired by Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" and Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food," we want to experience the vegan lifestyle to improve our health, boycott animal suffering, and reduce our carbon footprint.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Laura: Bring on the parties

After struggling through the mother of all dessert parties on Saturday, I had to face a 4 hour Super Bowl Party...filled with more non-vegan goodies.  That's why I armed myself with chips & guacamole.

Day 3 Food Journal
-oatmeal with banana, flax seed, craisins, maple syrup, cinnamon
-chips and homemade guacamole
-pumpkin muffincakes with vegan choco chips (the Duncan Hines Devils Food cake mix does not contain animal products...just lots of, ya know, sugar). I made these for a coworker's bday.

My colorful produce from the Mountain View Farmers Market:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura (and Shannon :) I'm so excited for you both! What a great thing! Laura, you definitely live in the right place to go vegan - it's not so easy in Hartford, Wisconsin. I've incorporated a lot of these foods into my diet and don't do much meat anymore, but I haven't totally been able to make the switch. It's funny, how much dairy was pounded into our heads growing up, being "the dairy state" and all, but aside from the poor chickens and cows, dairy = phlegm!! Anyway, I'm really happy for you and hope you keep it up!

    Just a couple blogs/sites to share, as you're most likely reading other ones: greensmoothiegirl.com is a good one. I've been drinking green smoothies for a while now, with some form or combination of spinach, kale and collards, which you don't even taste by the time you throw all the fruit in, and I've noticed a big difference by drinking them.

    The other one is eatliverun.com, which is this awesome girl that moved to Healdsburg several months ago. She's a food blogger, but very interesting life, and much of what she makes is veganish. She works at a winery and is into yoga and healthy food, but I could see you bumping into each other someday and having a blast :) Thanks for renewing my motivation today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though your food journal looks like a snack, I'd like to point out that your 'chips and guac' was more like 5 full avocados :)

    ReplyDelete